Every city, village and hamlet in America, including our City of Wyandotte, was built on Native American land. Hundreds of years ago the Wyandot nation lived along the banks of the Detroit River. The Wyandot villages stretched from Georgian Bay in Canada, south along Lake Huron and Lake Erie, all the way east to Niagara,
New York. The rivers offered a plentiful way of life - fishing, hunting and fertile land to grow corn, beans and squash.
The village of Monguagon, or Maquaqua, was located in present day Wyandotte, on the Detroit River waterfront. Through a series of treaties, starting in 1795, the Wyandot lost their land in Michigan, and later in Ohio. The Wyandots were relocated to Kansas, and twenty years later they were forced to go to Oklahoma.
Today, the Wyandots of Anderdon still reside in the Downriver area. Other branches of the Wyandot nation reside live in Canada, Kansas and Oklahoma.