Built in 1862 for Warren Isham, the Marx Home is listed on the State & National Register of Historic Places. Characterized by the low pitch roof, bracketed eaves, elongated-round headed windows with hood moldings and the unique widow’s walk on the roof, the Marx Home is one of the last remaining examples of a brick Italianate home in the City of Wyandotte. Although each succeeding generation of owners left their mark on the house and site, the basic structure and architectural features have been preserved. Research also indicates that the site was much larger in previous years and contained outbuildings, gardens, and an orchard.
The home has seen numerous owners throughout its history. By the time it was sold to John Marx in 1921, it had changed hands six times. Previous owners included: Dr. Theophilus John Langolis, Mayor of Wyandotte in 1874 and 1888; Charles W. Thomas, Wyandotte’s first druggist; and Anna Marie Armstrong whose husband William was the city Treasurer in 1875.
John Marx was the son of George Marx, who started Wyandotte's first brewery, The Marx Brewing Company, in 1862. The company, located at Oak Street and the Detroit River waterfront, carried the slogan, "A QUALITY BREW SINCE '62", and was known for the superb Pilsner beer it produced. After George Marx's death in 1886, his son Frank, continued the management. In 1896, the company was reorganized as the Wyandotte Brewing Company, but by 1904 returned to the Marx name. In 1909, the Eureka Brewing and Ice Company merged with the Marx Brewing Co. During prohibition, 1919-1933, the company produced non-alcoholic products. By 1937, the company had closed its doors.
In 1974, Leo Marx and Mary T. Polley, son and daughter of John Marx, gave this building as a gift to the City of Wyandotte. After years of research and restoration the home was formally opened to the public on September 29, 1996. Many groups, organizations, and individuals took part in the restoration of the Marx Home, and the building serves as an example of the community’s hard work and dedication to historic preservation.